Il Tempio

La chiesa si colloca al centro di un prato pianeggiante là dove la Val d’Orcia s’innesta nella Val di Chiana e la sua posizione, fuori della città, in mezzo a un paesaggio straordinario, ne evidenzia la grandiosità. L'edificio, summa degli studi rinascimentali sulla pianta centralizzata a croce greca, fu realizzata da Antonio da Sangallo il Vecchio a partire dal 1518 sul luogo dove sorgeva un’antica pieve. All’inizio del XVI secolo restavano solo dei ruderi, un avanzo di torre campanaria e un brano d’affresco raffigurante la Madonna col Bambino accompagnata da San Francesco, ritenuta miracolosa. L’edificazione fu promossa persino da papa Leone X, figlio di Lorenzo il Magnifico, che era stato educato alle lettere classiche da Angelo Poliziano, il grande poeta umanista nato in questa città.

L’origine della chiesa è legata ad un fatto miracoloso avvenuto il 23 aprile 1518, quando due fantesche, Antilia e Camilla, e un contadino di nome Toto, passando davanti all’affresco raffigurante la Madonna con il Bambino e San Francesco, videro che gli occhi della Vergine si muovevano come se fosse viva. Toto, di cui resta una statua in sagrestia, sarà tutta la vita impegnato a elemosinare per costruire la Chiesa.

L’edificio progettato dal Sangallo doveva sorgere dunque al posto dell’antica pieve altomedievale dedicata a Santa Maria e, in seguito, intorno all’anno Mille, a San Biagio, il santo di origine armena che, per la sua esperienza di medico, veniva interpellato dai fedeli per la cura dei mali fisici e, in particolare, per la guarigione dalle malattie della gola.

La chiesa ha una pianta a croce greca con cupola centrale e abside semicircolare, all’interno della quale è stata ricavata la sacrestia, mentre sull’opposta facciata della croce, che deve considerarsi la principale, si ha la presenza di due campanili, di cui solo quello a sinistra risulta compiuto. Il Tempio è all’esterno, come all’interno, interamente rivestito in lastre di travertino che mostrano una colorazione ambrata. A seconda della luce della giornata la pietra acquisisce sfumature di colore sempre diverse.

L’interno della chiesa ripete la stessa impressione di solennità architettonica ricevuta all’esterno, anche se gli altari risultano semplici e privi di arredi. L’unica parete corredata di numerosi elementi decorativi è quella corrispondente all’Altar Maggiore. Lo sfondo è costituito da un grande dossale marmoreo opera di Giannozzo e Lisandro di Pietro Albertini, terminato nel 1584. Nelle nicchie si collocano statue di santi scolpite da Ottaviano Lazzarini nel 1617 che rappresentano San Giovanni Battista, Santa Caterina da Siena, Sant’Agnese e San Giorgio.

Al centro del dossale si inserisce l’affresco attribuito al Maestro di Badia a Isola raffigurante la Madonna col Bambino e san Francesco, protagonista dei miracoli che portarono alla costruzione della chiesa.

Gli affreschi della lunetta e l’arco della volta nella cappella maggiore sono stati eseguiti nel 1598 dal pittore Angelo Righi. Nella lunetta vi sono rappresentati i Quattro re di Israele, mentre nel grande arco si osservano le storie della Vergine: il Transito, l’Assunzione e l’Incoronazione.

La vetrata è stata commissionata, nel 1550, a Michelangelo Urbani da Cortona. Raffigura un’allegoria della Concezione della Vergine, circondata da Angeli e Santi, mentre ai suoi piedi vi sono Adamo ed Eva che commettono il peccato originale.

Ai lati dell’altare vi sono due cantorie edificate tra il 1646 e il 1648.

Nel complesso, San Biagio risulta un’eccezionale sintesi tra il linguaggio artistico del Rinascimento ispirato alla perfezione dei classici e la devozione religiosa dal quale è scaturita l’edificazione della chiesa.

Davanti alla chiesa si trova l’armonioso edificio della Canonica, con doppio loggiato, anch’essa progettata dal Sangallo ed eseguita verso il 1550. Il pozzo di fronte alla Canonica è stato realizzato tra il 1550 e il 1551 e presentava in origine due colonne con architrave in travertino.

_ _ _

Ab immemorabili – from ancient times – Montepulciano and the Virgin Mary make up a binary, inseparable system that characterizes the history of the town and its people. The Poliziani, as they are known, are people who, throughout the centuries, have dedicated numerous churches and chapels to the cult of Mary, Mother of God. This steadfast devotion has earned Montepulciano the rightful appellative of Marian City.
According to extant documents, 500 years ago, on April 23, 1518, , the Virgin – depicted in the fresco (attributed to Maestro di Badia a Isola, XIII c.) in the middle of the monumental marble altar – opened and closed her eyes several times in front of two young girls, Antilia and Camilla, as they were returning from the nearby Pescaia fountain, situated under this building.  Toto, a humble peasant also present at the scene, not only witnessed the Virgin’s eyes repeated movements, but also saw his oxen kneel in front of the Virgin’s image. At that time, the image was kept in a smaller church adjacent to the space that would later be used for the larger Temple that we have today. Everything began with this event.
Not surprisingly, a previous, similar event also saw young people and the Virgin Mary as the main protagonists. In 1514, to be exact, a group of young farmers attacked with a knife the sacred icon kept in the Church dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie. The attack caused blood to pour out of the icon’s wounds. The blood stains remain visible today.
Years later, in 1580, another group of youth armed with a steel mallet attacked the Madonna of San Martino. The attack caused a large bruise on Mary’s forehead; indeed, the bruise that surfaced on the icon was, and remains, similar to one that could be inflicted on a human being. Today this fresco is visible in the Cathedral of Piazza Grande.
Visitors who come to Montepulciano, and especially those who enter San Biagio, cannot overlook the deep mark that the sensus Mariae has left either on the wall as a fresco or on the stone, on the inscriptions placed above the three doors, in paintings as Biblia pauperum, in the citations carved on the marble altar, on the glass icon on the top of the building which, recently restored, shows all of us how the Virgin’s delivery of Jesus was an event anticipated ab initio et ante secula. All these elements contribute to make the Church of San Biagio a great example of Renaissance Marian devotion. This devotion places humanity at the center of the universe and simultaneously recognizes God as its creator. The same central plan, iconic of homo mensura, calls to mind the idea of perfection that is typical of that historical period which finds in Maria the very model to emulate to attain sainthood. The inscription on the marble altar, rendered in large characters and placed exactly at the center in order to make reading and memorization easy, affirms what the Bible states in its seventy-three books: Hinc Deus homo et homo Deus. With an adverb that is not easily translated, sacred history tells us that “from here onward,” or “ from this place,” understood as a physical space, for the Virgin is the “place” in which Christ – God is generated, not created, the new history of human salvation begins.
Mary is the gravitational center around which human history definitely and completely shifts its course. If our gaze, in an horizontal sense grasps this point, in a vertical sense understands the later frescoes that (although at this time, in need of restoration) are located above the presbytery and depict the Histories of the Virgin (Transit, Assumption, and Crowning) attributed to Angelo Righi, a Baroque painter from the Tuscan School.
But there is more about Marian devotion at the temple of San Biagio. The paintings that today we admire in their respective and original places complete the church that is the most Marian of the churches in Montepulciano. This church is the pride of the town and its people as the inscriptions, both inside and outside the entrance and exit doors show. Among the six paintings, five larger ones and one smaller, three focus on a Marian theme: the Birth of the Virgin (a characterization not widely diffused in the western Latin context), the Annunciation and the Assumption of the Virgin. Above the central door, on the inside, one reads “Protect, oh Virgin, your Politian people.” On the outside, above the same door, one reads: “Dedicated to the Virgin, in thanksgiving for the Lord’s miracle, in the year of our Lord 1518.”
Here in San Biagio everything speaks of Mary! Today as in the past, the community of believers of the third millennium that advances restless, but full of hopes, calls out to Panaghia – the Whole Saint One --   asking that she turn Her tender, maternal look toward each woman and man of good will, just as She did on that day of April 23, 1518, when the history of Montepulciano fully converged  in the historia salutis, the history of humanity’s salvation at the hands of God.